So, as we all have been hearing over and over from the media, Nov. 4th will go down in history and I'm asking the question: "Where were you when you heard that Obama had won the election?". With so many of us being in different time zones, I just thought it would be interesting to hear your story. Here's mine:
I spent most of the morning, into the afternoon at the commissary trying to buy two weeks worth of groceries. And with two babies, this is no easy task. By the end of the shopping trip, Caleb has had enough and is starting to act out by talking very loudly and pushing Riley down the isle in the shopping cart (which he knows is a VERY BIG NO NO!). So I find myself scanning my shopping list one last time while trying to calm Riley down and yelling at Caleb to stop grabbing food off the shelves and shoving them into my cart. At that moment, the radio station being played throughout the commissary says, "And President Elect, Obama..."and that was all I heard. I get home to quickly unload babies, and then groceries so that I can turn on the t.v. and see what's going on...and as I'm finishing up, my friend, Jen pulls up in her car and asks, "your not glued to your t.v.?" and I'm thinking, "I've been trying to get there" and she tells me that Obama has been elected as our new President.
So, there's my story. I'm wondering if the experience would have meant more if I'd had been in the states. It just didn't seem to effect me the way that I thought it would. I almost feel disappointed, not that Obama won, but that I wasn't there (stateside) to see first hand the reaction of our first African-American President being elected. Was it a different experience than other elections for those of you in the states??
3 comments:
There wasn't a big deal here--that I noticed. There was more relief that the election phone messages and commercials were finally over...Going to the polls at 7 am and seeing a line that snaked down the sidewalk was a little scary. I just turned around and went after work and it was all normal. The TV had all the coverage but that was no different than any other election.
I missed seeing the election night coverage. I went to bed when it was about six pm in the states. I figured if I was up early that I would still see the coverage pretty well. Well, I was up at six-one am east coast time and the election was already called. I had to look on line which doens't have the same kind of impact as an announcer on TV would have although you miss a lot of the bull. I remember being stunned that Obama had won by so much. I was really hoping that McCain would pull it out miraculously. But I found out on my couch. It would have been nice to have stayed up into the wee hours to have 'been there' also!
I was sleeping!! I didnt know until Mark told me the next morning. And yes, its FINALLY over!
woo-hoo!
Post a Comment